Sewing is fun! Relax with pride in pajama pants you made yourself, or make them in a size to give to someone else. The pattern includes youth, women’s and men’s sizes from very small to very large.
Come find out how fun and easy in one of these project-based Learn to Sew classes. In each class, through making one very simple project, you’ll pick up a few key skills that will prepare you for more complicated projects in the future. Take just one class or take them all.
Each project teaches different skills, but all projects will cover these basics:
- Cutting fabric with a rotary cutter
- Sewing a typical seam with a “seam allowance” and knowing whether a seam needs finishing
- Pressing seams
- Using measuring and marking tools
Key skills in "Jammie" Bottoms:
- Reading a commercial pattern including finding your size
- Making a drawstring casing
- Flannel, cotton or fleece. For Jammie sizes XS to S buy 1 1/2 yards. For sizes M - L 2 1/2 yards. Note: Price varies depending on where you shop.
- Pre-wash the fabric. If you would like to discuss what fabric you need, contact Catherine at [email protected]
Note: the class is scheduled for 3.5 hours. You may not need the entire time to complete the project. If you need more time, you can arrange with your instructor to come to a Better Together Sewing Session
Join us for other "Learn to Sew" Classes:
Make An Apron, November 10, 1 pm - 4:30 pm
Protect your clothes or add style or both! You’ll have the option of making your own fabric for the pocket by sewing smaller pieces of fabric together.
Key skills: cutting smooth curves, applying bias binding on curves, making button holes, turning a pocket right side out, piecing (optional)
Scoop-Neck Top: December 8, 1 pm - 4:30 pm
This cap-sleeved scoop-neck top you’ll make from woven fabric can go with any thing from jeans or jammie bottoms to a power suit. The pattern includes bust/chest sizes from 32 to 58 inches.
Key skills: reading a commercial pattern including finding your size, sewing darts, applying bias facing, setting sleeves, basic hemming
- The first half hour will cover basic sewing machine operations. The first 30 minutes is optional for people who have taken Learn How to Use the Fiber Studio Sewing Machines, and you’re welcome to attend as a refresher.
- Skill Level: These classes are geared toward beginners, but more experienced sewists are also welcome to join.
- Material Fees: $10.00 for pattern and studio supplies.
- Students should bring to class: Flannel, cotton or fleece of your choice. Sizes XS to S buy 1 1/2 yards, Sizes M - L 2 1/2 yards. Price varies depending on where you shop. Pre-wash the fabric. If you have questions about what fabric you need, contact Catherine at [email protected]
- Please click here for BARN's current COVID-19 health & safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available - click here to fill out the simple application before registering for a class. For those who might need physical assistance, please learn about BARN's Companion Program here.
Catherine Camp will share her enthusiasm for sewing. She was raised with a gaggle of sisters where sewing, knitting, and crafts spread throughout every room in their home. Then she found BARN and is now surrounded by sisters and brothers keeping the fun alive!