This is an exciting opportunity to practice casting your own work in precious metals. This is a hands-on experience. You will do every step in the casting process yourself so you need to be well versed and comfortable with the process. This is not a class, but more like an open studio for casting.
Intermediate-level skills required.
- Prerequisite: Introduction to Lost Wax Casting.
- If you've had prior lost wax centrifugal casting class in the last 2 years where you poured your own metal, email us here to get instructor approval.
- Your payment for this independent casting includes 1 or 2 flasks equal to 500 grams of investment.
- If you choose to cast more than 2 flasks, bring cash or check to pay for extra investment used.
- Please provide your own metal. Bronze or Sterling are the most often cast materials. If you are using scrap, please clean and remove all solder beforehand. (You can cast in gold if you choose).
Session 1: Investing: Must arrive with your pieces sprued, weighed (don't forget to record your wax weight & bring it), and attached to the sprue base. Please attend an open studio on Monday or Wednesday PRIOR to this session to complete your sprue work. We have a casting locker for you to store your sprued flask.Session 2: Casting: Come with your clean, pre-weighed metal and appropriate casting attire. Teams of 2 people will take turns casting until we finish. Everyone helps to clean up on both days.
Karin Lee Luvaas is a local Bainbridge Island artist and jeweler. With an art degree in encaustics, painting and metal sculpture, Karin has studied under acclaimed jewelry masters Michael Boyd, Kent Raible, Petra Class, and Sarah Graham and achieved Graduate Jeweler status under Alan Revere of the world renowned Revere Academy of San Francisco, California. Karin is also a GIA certified Graduate Gemologist and holds a Jewelers of America Bench Jeweler Technician certificate.
Karin’s current work can be viewed on Instagram @karinluvaas.
Contact: [email protected]