Have you ever wondered how your favorite indie dyers create beautiful, brightly colored skeins of yarn? Local indie dyer Vickie (aka Ship), of Shipyarn, will show you how!
In this two-part introductory class, you will learn the basics of dyeing wool yarn with acid dyes, a non-caustic type of synthetic dye activated by simple white vinegar or citric acid. You will learn essential safety procedures, planning colorways, making dye stocks, and how to use them.
Ship will introduce you to the hand-painting method, which is an easy, fun, and versatile dye style that's perfect for beginners. During the workshop, you will engage in guided color play to create your own unique skein of hand-painted yarn!
Day 1 You will learn:
- The basics of dye safety
- How acid dyes work
- How to plan a successful colorway
You will get your (gloved) hands dirty, and dye your own yarn! During this time you will hand-paint a skein of fingering weight superwash merino. This technique gives you the chance to really play with the color while learning about dye stocks and how to use them!
(included with the price of the class)
- 1 skein of fingering weight superwash merino yarn (100g/490 yards)
- 1 disposable respirator
- Enough dye and citric acid to fully saturate a skein with color
NOTE: Due to the nature of dyeing, there may be some down time while waiting for dye to set. If you want to play with more colors during this time, additional materials kits will be available for purchase for $12.00 (does not include respirator). Feel free to bring another project to work on while you wait.
Skill Level: Beginner
Material Fees: $15.00
- Bring your own lunch. BARN has a microwave and a refrigerator for your use.
- Please click here for BARN's current COVID-19 health & safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available - click here to fill out the simple application before registering for a class. For those who might need physical assistance, please learn about BARN's Companion Program here.
Hi I’m Ship! (she/her). I'm an indie dyer from the US PNW who gets inspiration for yarn colors from my fandoms! I mostly get my inspiration from anime, video games, and YA books that I love. I’ve been dyeing yarn for 4 years, and crocheting for 12. I’ve always loved sharing my passions with others, whether that is screaming about the things I love, or teaching others how to create.
I'm also a huge dog person and have a Bernese Mountain Dog named Pico, and a Golden Retriever named Eri. They are my co-hosts during a weekly dyeing stream on Twitch!