Join us for two Tuesday mornings sewing Bowl Cozies. These great gifts—which you can use for taking hot bowls from the microwave or for keeping hot bowls hot—are quick to sew and great for using up your scraps! In a morning you can make a set for each person on your gift list.
The instructions include three sizes: to fit 6”-diameter, 8”-diameter, or 12”-diameter bowls. You adjust the size of the cozy by adjusting the size of your starting square and the size of the darts on each size. And for the “quilt-curious,” this is a great first or second project using batting. Plus, though the pattern shows the cozies made one piece of fabric for each side, you can also piece your squares, for even more scrap-busting.
Please note that this is a sew-along, not a class, and instruction isn’t planned for this activity. We hope sewists of all levels will be joining us, so you should be able to ask questions, but please do not expect to be taken through the project step-by-step.
- Your own copy of the free instructions: Free Soup Bowl Cozie
- Fabric, thread, and batting to make cozies in the size of you choice. Check the note in the instructions about microwave-safe materials. The Fiber Studio does have fabric and thread available for purchase, though you may not find the exact color, amount, style, or fabric content you want.
- Tools: rotary cutter and rulers, marking tools, scissors, pins, and needles. You are also welcome to bring your own tools.
- Sign up to use one of BARN’s sewing machines (prerequisite: Learn How to Use the Fiber Studio Sewing Machines) or bring your own.
- Non-Members if you would like to use one of BARN's machines please email [email protected]
Host: Marcia Adams-Landry is a founding member of BARN and a life-long sewist. Marcia first learned about bowl cozies from former Fiber Studio user Beth Jelec, and they are such a fun project, Marcia wanted to reintroduce them to everyone!