*This workshop will be live streamed via Zoom. Class time is Pacific Time**
Learn A Way We Sew signature techniques for sewing a classic button down collar shirt to fit your favorite toddler. You’ll learn how to quickly and accurately sew all those ‘tricky bits’ like the collar, collar band, cuffs. and sleeve plackets. You’ll also learn how to match prints across center front, how to sew sturdy flat fell seams and pucker free hems, and more!
You can sew a shirt in a few hours! We’ll show you step by step, and we’ll be sewing right by your side (online).
The class is offered in three, 2-hour sessions. Links to video tutorials and step-by-step professionally illustrated handouts also included.
Session 1: Orientation: Nov. 30
- Supplies, pattern, online resources (video and handouts), overview of A Way We Sew techniques
- Cutting layout, basic order of operations
Session 2: Technique: Dec 1
- Construction techniques (collar, band, plackets, cuffs)
- Matching center fronts
Session 3: Putting it all together: Dec 2
- Buttons and button holes
- Flat fell seams
Purchase a kit for $10.00, plus shipping, directly from the instructor by clicking here. Please be sure to order your kits by Monday, November 22nd to ensure your kit arrives in time for the class.
The kit includes pre-cut interfacing for the collar, band, cuffs and front placket, and buttons (2 sizes, collar, gauntlet and front/cuffs)
Students need to supply:
- 1 1/4 yards 100% cotton fabric
- Pattern: Jalie 2111E, available as a pdf download for $13 from: https://jalie.com/products/mens-and-boys-shirt-sewing-pattern.
- Instructions on how to download and assemble the pattern are available on the Jalie website.
- The pattern includes 22 sizes. We'll be making the smallest size (size 2/Jalie size F, to fit a toddler)
- Basic sewing notions: scissors, pins, measuring tapes, thread, etc.
- Sewing machine (individuals may come to BARN to sew. Email [email protected] bainbridgebarn.org for information)
- Optional: edge stitch foot, flat fell foot
- Registration will close on Monday, November 22th at 8:30 pm. This will allow enough time for students to order their kit from the instructor. Cancellation requests for refunds or credits will not be accepted after 11/22.
- This class will be taught via the Zoom video conferencing program. For a great video on how to use Zoom, watch this tutorial. Please make sure you have the most current version of the Zoom software.
- A Zoom link will be sent to the email address you registered with one day prior to each session. Please watch for this email. You may need to check your spam folder for emails from BARN.
- Ages 14+ Welcome.
- Tuition assistance is available. Click here to complete our simple form.
Leah Boyan is thrilled to contribute to the BARN Fiber Arts Studio. She has taught online and in person at Esther’s Fabrics on Bainbridge Island. She's also a national sewing speaker, having presented at the Virtual 2020 American Sewing Guild National Convention and several national ASG chapters, and she is scheduled to present at the 2021 National Convention. Leah started her company, A Way We Sew, to combine her two passions: sewing and thinking about sewing. She develops and teaches innovative ways to sew faster, with fabulous results, all while having fun!