**This workshop will be live streamed via Zoom.**
If you’ve ever wanted to make any of the beautiful geometric patterns found on Japanese fabric, this is the class for you. We provide the tools to teach you the basic motifs and techniques, which you can later apply to your own alterations, textile beautification, quilting, and, of course, visible mending.
Session 1 - HITOMEZASHI SASHIKO ESSENTIALS - 2 hours
Welcome to the world of "One-Stitch" Sashiko! Sashiko, the Japanese hand-stitching technique for patching and reinforcing fabric, is the hot “new” trend in crafts and fashion. Hitomezashi Sashiko creates beautiful geometric patterns, and we'll teach you the most essential motifs, which you can later apply to almost any and every project!
Session 2 - MOYOUZASHI SASHIKO ESSENTIALS - 2 hours
Welcome to the fluid lines and complex designs of Moyouzashi Sashiko! Join the slow stitching and visible mending movements with this Moyouzashi Sashiko class. Moyouzashi – a version of the sashiko running stitch that is worked in curves or straight lines to create beautiful motifs representing traditional images from Japanese art such as waves, coins, and repeating geometric patterns — is a perfect addition to fabric alterations, clothing enhancements, and especially, quilting.
Special skills or knowledge needed to take this class:
You should know how to thread a needle without poking out an eye.
Supplies you'll need:
- Ring thimble with plate
- Sashiko needle
- 12-weight thread or Sashiko thread
- a couple of 8” x 8” fabric swatches
- Washable marking pens suitable for the swatches
- Thread snips
- Graph paper
- Optional Kit available from the Shibaguyz ($25) contains: one ring thimble, one long Sashiko needle, one white marking pen, one plastic grid, two colors of Aurifil 12-weight cotton thread, assorted practice fabric. Available here. Order your kit no later than May 3, 2021, to ensure you receive it in time!
- Registration will close on Monday, May 10th at 1:00 pm. If you plan to order a kit from the Shibaguyz, register for class and then order your kit no later than Monday, May 3rd.
- This class will be conducted via Zoom. For a great video on how to use Zoom, watch this tutorial. Please make sure you have the most current version of the Zoom software.
- A Zoom link will be sent one day before the start of each session to the email address you registered with. Please watch for this email. You may need to check your spam folder for emails from BARN.
- Tuition assistance is available. Click here to apply.
This workshop qualifies you to take our summer series of 2-hour advanced Sashiko classes. Each workshop is stand-alone and has a separate sign-up. Enjoy a summer of in-depth exploration of Sashiko!!!
- Hitomezashi – Woven Patterns 1 and 2 / May 27th
- Moyouzashi – Key Forms
- Hitomezashi – Non-traditional Grids 1
- Moyouzashi – Non-traditional Grids 1 and 2
- Moyouzashi – Asanoha
- Moyouzashi – Circular Patterns 1 and 2
Shannon and Jason Mullett-Bowlsby are the dynamic DIY duo known as the Shibaguyz. Their award-winning crochet, knit, and sewing designs have been featured in and on the covers domestic and international publications and their craft, portrait, and fashion photography has appeared in books and magazines around the globe. The Shibaguyz have published 10 books of crochet and knitwear patterns including Complete Crochet Course – the Ultimate Reference Guide, Designer Crochet, and Crochet Geometry. Their latest book is titled Boro & Sashiko: Harmonious Imperfection from C&T Publishing.
The Shibaguyz have been teaching adults for 20+ years. With their mastery of subjects from crochet and knitting to photography, spinning, sewing, and quilting, their enthusiasm, quirky sense of humor, and relatable teaching style have made them sought after teachers in both local and national venues such as STITCHES Events, Houston Quilt Festival, Pacific International Quilt Festival, and the Bainbridge Artisan Resource Network (BARN). They also have a wide range of online classes available from Craftsy and Creative Spark Online. The “edu-tainment” experience of a class with the Shibaguyz will leave you informed, empowered, and in stitches (see what we did there?).
Shannon and Jason live in Seattle, Washington with their three Shiba Inu who, more or less, support their ventures as long as enough time is taken for walks and treats.
Shannon and Jason's Social Media Links: