There is a growing global consensus that eating a vegan diet is not only good for your health, but good for the animals and a way to help combat climate change.
Join us for a week of exploring vegan recipes and cooking techniques as well as discussions about all things vegan in this fun and tasty class!
Though the instructors will be driving the theme for each class, students will be helping make the decisions about ingredients in their creations.
We start this series with an overview of the week ahead then dive into vegan cheese making! We will make a firmer, grate-able cheese, a melt-able softer cheese for pizza, and a cheese sauce with a few flavor variations. After which we’ll make a lunch of loaded nachos topped with our vegan queso cheese sauce and fresh made salsa. Delicious!
Let’s explore the colorful art of veggie sushi and spring roll creation! We will explore different ingredients and rolling techniques then finish by making a dipping sauce to enjoy.
Who doesn’t love a good burger? Yay! It’s custom veggie burger day! Each student will create a burger recipe according to your taste preferences. Students will eat, enjoy, and have some to take home and share.
Saving the best for last! We conclude our class sessions with a day of desserts. Students create a delicious (dare we say “healthy”) vegan “candy” bar, along with other vegan “goodies” that students help choose.
During class, as time allows and if there’s interest, we will have discussions on a variety of vegan topics.
This class is perfect if you are vegan, vegetarian or just curious how to make tasty food without dairy, eggs or meat.
Participants will also learn the importance of cleanliness in the kitchen. All participants will be responsible for assisting with cleaning BARN's Kitchen Studio in accordance with our restaurant permit standards.
Everyone should bring containers each day to class so food not eaten in class can be taken home.
- Registration will close on Sunday, August 1st at 9:00 AM.
- This class is for youth 12-18 years old.
- To register your youth, please put into the First Name field your first name then in parenthesis put the youth's first and last name (if different than yours).
- Please click here to register youth for an optional supervised lunch hour from 12-1pm for the week of this class.
- Please complete and return this minor permission form if BARN does not already have one on file for your child from a past class. If you have any questions, please email BARN Program Manager at JessH@bainbridgebarn.org
- Tuition assistance is available. Click here to apply.
- BARN will be practicing safety measures for the health and well-being of all participants, in accordance with state and CDC guidelines. Picture above is a promotional photo from a previous class. Students and instructors will be required to wear masks, wash or sanitize hands frequently, maintain a distance of six feet between individuals, and stay home if they are sick. More details can be found here.
- A materials fee of $25 is included in the price of class.
- To comply with WA State Health Department guidelines, please wear closed-toe shoes to class.
Nancy Travis has studied and cooked whole food plant-based for over 30 years, and raised two vegan children who are now in their 20’s. . She co-owned a vegetarian fast food restaurant chain in the 90's and recently had a grab-and-go cafe on Bainbridge Island. Currently her business Sukhi Kitchen provides vegan personal chef services, health education, and kitchen coaching to Bainbridge Island families. Nancy has been teaching plant based classes at BARN for the past 3 years.
Aimee Hayes-Herb has two vegetarian (mostly vegan) happy and healthy teens! She has assisted in teaching classes at BARN, is an active member of the Kitchen Arts Studio, and, has taught cooking classes in the Whole Foods kitchen in the past. Her teaching focuses not only on the foods she creates, but, the nutritional impact as well. She has assisted PCC cooking classes in Seattle, and, when in school to become a Nutritionist at Bastyr University worked as a teaching assistant in the whole foods cooking and teaching kitchen. She has a passion for cooking, baking and preparing beautiful meals to share!