This is your chance to work with international fiber artist, Sue Spargo. In this 2 session workshop on June 14 and 15, students will be creating an embroidery sampler to be finished into a needle roll.
This class is for students to learn and expand their understanding of many stitches by incorporating them in different formations and combinations.
The focus of the class will be on the use of Eleganza Perle Cotton in sizes 8, 5, and 3. Each cover will be unique, using either Kumquat or Turquoise wool as the front cover. Students have the option to learn English paper piecing to decorate the inside with a floral flower.
Students should bring:
- Eleganza Perle Cotton in size 8, 5 and 3. Pick your favorite colors!
- 1” x 6” ruler
- Small circle template
- Spoke Easy + Templates
- Marking pencil
#3, 1, 15 Milliners
#11 and #9 Short Darner
#24 and #20 Tapestry
- Please note, cancellation requests received 45 days or less before the workshop start date will not be eligible for a refund or credit.
- There is a materials fee of $25 included in the price of class. The materials fee is for Sue Spargo's needle case kit.
- Lunch is included in the price of this workshop.
- You will be asked if you would like to opt in to share your email address with other registrants to coordinate sharing a hotel room or ride sharing from the airport or ferry.
- Airfare, hotel and transportation are not included. If you are arriving from out of town, you should book lodging as soon as possible. Bainbridge Island is a vacation destination and gets busy in the summer. For lodging, transportation, and restaurants, please see Visit Bainbridge
- Skill Level: All Levels
- Ages 14+ Welcome.
Instructor Bio: Sue Spargo is a much beloved instructor and artist who teaches workshops around the world. We are very excited to welcome her to BARN.
Sue was born in Zambia and educated in South Africa. She later moved to England. She reports that living in both cultures shaped many of her designs. You can see the influence of Africa in her choice of colors. The whimsy and charm of her creations reflect African folklore.
She moved to the United States in 1980 and settled in Ohio where she started her company, Sue Spargo Folk-art Quilts, Inc., in the basement of her home in 2002. It was here where she embarked on her journey of dimensional layering and embroidery and introduced the world to wools saturated in bright colors, multi-medium layering and embroidery which resulted in textural depth and dimension never before seen. The circle of fans that love her and her artistry has grown exponentially over the years. Her company now has a store in Ohio with an abundance of the fiber-related products that she incorporates in her designs as well as her kits, patterns and books.
Creative Stitching Book (2nd Edition) by Sue Spargo.
Sue Spargo's Creative Stitching Book (2nd Edition) book is available at Esther’s on Island, Quilted Strait in Port Gamble, or online through Sue Spargo's store. The Eleganza Pearl Cotton embroidery thread and different needles can also be found at these stores.