Amaze your friends with your command of GLASS!! Learn about the magic of stained glass using the copper foil technique to create pieces that sparkle in the sun. You will assemble a 5-piece heart as well as another project you choose from several available patterns. Your choice of colored and textured glass will make for a very personal project.
Prior to tackling your project, you will learn to hand cut clear glass in straight lines, copper tape and then solder the shapes together into a 10-square design.
By Day 2 you will be cutting curves and using a glass grinder to finish the shapes of your heart project for a better fit.
By the end of the 4th class you will have a good understanding of the copper foil technique for stained glass; how to cut glass in straight and curved lines with carbide glass cutters, how to use a diamond glass grinder, copper foil techniques to assemble glass pieces, tacking and soldering the fit pieces into a beautiful piece. You will also learn patina techniques to provide contrast and set off the colors of the glass. A border will be added to your last piece to further enhance the look and provide strength for hanging.
Students that may have had previous glass cutting and stained-glass experience may choose a more complicated pattern with the instructor’s approval. The instructor’s focus is on your completion of a nice-looking project rather than the complexity of a project.
The material fee covers all materials and equipment required for your project. BARN ensures safe practices and a safe environment for the students; special considerations should be discussed beforehand.
While working with soldering irons at high temperature, we request you wear cotton or other natural fiber clothing.
- This class is for youth 14-18 years old.
- To register your youth, please put in the NAME field your first name then in parenthesis put the youth's first and last name (if different than yours).
- Please complete and return this minor permission form if BARN does not already have one on file for your child from a past class.
- Tuition assistance is available. Click hereto apply.
- BARN reserves the right to cancel this class in the case of low enrollment and will notify families of this decision one week prior to the start of the class. A full refund will be given.
- If you have any questions, please email BARN Program Manager at JessH@bainbridgebarn.org
- A materials fee of $35 is included in the price of class.
Remember to wear close-toed shoes & long pants in the Glass Studio at all times! This is a strictly enforced safety policy. Thank you.
Instructor: Jim Washington comes to BARN with 35 years in vocational education settings. He has taught classes in cold, warm and hot glass, glass batching, ceramics, manufacturing, woodshop, and composites. His first love was the glass arts program in Central Kitsap which he built and ran for 12 years.