This class is about color and fabric and quilts. It will have some theory but will also be “hands on”, with lots of exercises to help sharpen the eye to color contrast, color harmony, and color variability.
The class will involve active participation - cutting, sewing, thinking, talking.
The subject matter will be appropriate for beginning quilters as well as experienced quilters, but at least a moderate level of sewing skill is necessary.
Students should bring:
-- Solid color fabrics: bring at least 12 pieces (any colors you choose, preferably with a lot of variety, both light and dark). Each piece needs to be at least 12” square, but odd sizes and shapes welcome.
- Fabric. Most important! You’ll need to bring a bunch of fabrics to this class, but it’ll be easy if you already have a pretty good fabric stash at home. If you don’t, no worries - you can pick up a bunch inexpensive fat quarters or beg some scraps off any quilter you know who’s trying to “pare down” (that’s most of us).
-Multi-color and printed fabrics: bring another 12 pieces of multi-color and printed fabrics that are widely variable as to colors and shades, at least 12” square but odd sizes fine. Ugly fabric welcome!
- Sewing machine with supplies (thread, scissors, seam ripper, pins, etc.)
- Cutting equipment (rotary cutter, self-healing mat, cutting rulers)
- Pencil and paper for taking notes.
- Smart phone for taking photos.
- Color Wheel (FYI: bring a traditional RED/YELLOW/BLUE wheel, not the computer oriented CYAN/YELLOW/MAGENTA/BLACK [aka CYMK] type of wheel).
- Bring one of your quilts (preferably a relatively small one) that you’re willing to show the class. Doesn’t have to be amazing or awe-inspiring - just has to have some color we can look at and think about.
- Quilt Book: Bring a quilt book with photos of quilts you really like, maybe ones you wish you could make. Library books welcome.
- Please note for this class, cancellation requests received 14 days or less before the workshop start date will not be eligible for a refund or credit.
- There is a materials fee of $10 included in the price of class. Materials include supplementary teacher-supplied fabrics
- Tuition assistance is available. Click here to apply.
- Skill Level: A moderate level of sewing skills. Appropriate for begining as well as experienced quilters.
- Ages 16+ Welcome.
- Bring a bag lunch. We have a refrigerator and microwave located in the kitchenette on the lower level.
Instructor Bio: Barbara Ramsey says "I am a fabric artist who sews original abstract art works using traditional quilting techniques. Employing my own designs, I piece together fabric shapes with a sewing machine and by hand. My main materials are commercially printed fabric as well as fabric I’ve dyed and manipulated myself.
My work expresses my fascination with light, color, texture, materials, and process. I love the ritual of taking fabric of one color and changing it into another color with dye or bleach. I’m completely absorbed by the simple acts of washing, rinsing, drying, sewing, and ironing as I pull scores of separate colors together into a single piece. Like many traditional quilters, I’m devoted to precise construction. I differ from many traditional quilters in that I design and cut fabric in an effort to distort geometry. I work to create irregularity, using various shapes to impel the viewer’s eye to roam over the entire surface of the quilt, seeking the harmonies in the middle of contrast. I create my work in order to disappear into its making."