Middle Schoolers: Join us for after-school Maker Mondays at BARN this fall! This six-week program will be held in our Kitchen Arts Studio with our illustrious teaching chef Marcela Sandoval.
Pastry is a science as well as an art form that requires time and patience. This series will explore techniques to produce pastry perfection. Each session will allow students to grow and develop skills as well as learn the importance of cleanliness and washing as they work.
Session 1 - Custards and Cremes
Learn to make fillings for your favorite pastry.
Session 2- Pies and Tarts
Rolling the perfect dough takes practice. We will learn a simple and delicious recipe and take home an apple galette.
Session 3 – Meringue
From Eaten Mess to Macaroons, this class will focus on the art of the perfectly whipped meringue. Learn to use a pastry bag to form perfect treats.
Session 4 - Cupcakes and Butter Cream FrostingWe will make and bake light and fluffy vanilla cupcakes topped with a naturally flavored chocolate buttercream. Our piping techniques will be practiced once again and all will bring home approximately 8-10 completed cupcakes.
Session 5 - Gingerbread Cookies
Just in time for the holidays! We'll put our technical skills to the test to produce and decorate the perfect holiday cookie.
Session 6 - Pâte à Choux
Pâte à Choux is a very different kind of dough which is used from churros to eclairs. Our final class is a culmination of all we have learned. More piping techniques as well as fillings to produce sweet eclair treats.
Everything is made in the BARN Kitchen from scratch.
Age Level: Youth Class for grades 7 & 8.
- To register your youth please put in the NAME field your first name then in parenthesis put the youth's first and last name (if different than yours).
- Please bring an apron and a to-go container to take home different treats for each session.
- Please bring a water bottle for hydrating during class.
- Please complete and return this minor permission form.
- Tuition assistance is available. Click here to apply.
- BARN reserves the right to cancel this class in the case of low enrollment and will notify families of this decision one week prior to the start of the class. A full refund will be given.
- If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Marcela Sandoval is a classically trained Chef and has years of cooking abroad and instructing kids of all ages.
Jasmine Fischbach, class assistant: "My favorite thing to cook is salmon and succotash which I learned to make at BARN's Farm to Table class in 2018. I'm an 8th grader, a BARN Kitchen Volunteer and student of many BARN classes. I'm involved in Scouts and on the BI Swim Team."